[Wikipedia-l] Re: A WikiJamSession Fantasy

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Fri Jul 23 19:11:19 UTC 2004

Angela_ wrote:

> I love the idea of having a weekend where people get together to
> finalize the articles for a print edition. I sent off a few emails to
> libraries in Birmingham (Birmingham being a more central location than
> London, and considerably cheaper) just to get an idea of whether it
> would be possible and the only response I've had so far was not
> positive. The email below was from the University of Birmingham.
> Perhaps finding libraries that have large rooms available that we
> could use during normal library opening hours would be better than
> hoping to have whole libraries to ourselves?

If we were looking for a WikiJam in Britain, I concur that Birmingham
would be an excellent location.

In fact, if we broaden our location beyond libraries a little,
Birmingham has perhaps the perfect location - the National Exhibition
Centre - it is the largest such conference centre in Europe and can
accommodate tens, 100s, 1000s or 10000s of people as we require. Of
course internet facilities of the type we would want could be available.

It is virtually on top of [[Birmingham international railway station]],
which is well connected to the rest of the country.

It is also virtually on top of the centre of the country's motorway
(freeway) network.

It is also virtually on top of [[Birmingham international airport]],
which is now well-connected to the rest of the country, Europe and the
eastside of the States.

Because it is a massive exhibition centre it has lots of relevatively
affordable accommodation if you go at the right time (those of you
who've been to Vegas will know how wildly accommodation prices can vary
in conference season). In any case it would be way way less (less than
half) of London.

Admittedly there would be hurdles in terms of getting a good deal in
return for good publicity from the Centre compared with a friendly
libary.... but given Angela's comments, and because of its advantages,
it is certainly worth bearing in mind.

Pete/Pcb21
(originally from the area :)