[Wikipedia-l] Communication, being up-to-date and Mailing List issue

Ronny Raschkowan ronny at kopfrechnung.de
Fri Jul 23 14:48:23 UTC 2004

Hello!

When i talked yesterday on IRC with another wikipedian, we had both the
same opinion that there's a problem with the communication, and staying
up-to-date.

The problem is that people don't know for example, a feature had been
enabled or similar (high priority?) news concerning Wikimedia. Also,
most Wikis aren't up to date: They don't know for example, that it is
also possible to block logged in people using the IP - Ban interface.
Another problem is, that Wikis also couldn't know where they have to do
requests like: Request for Permission, for switching the logo path, for
queries, for updating a LanguageXX.php. Possibly they don't know there
are IRC Channels and Mailing Lists, too. I would purpose two possible
ways to change that, but feel free to purpose other ways :)

1) "Reactivating" the Announce-l Mailinglist. As far, as there are a lot
of changed going on, (creation of language specific wikibooks, quote for
  example), it'd be a good idea to have this ML working, as far as
people could post the announces there and people interested in the
changes could suscribe to that list and get informed.

2) Creating a new Special page for all wikis (or similar), called
"Useful_Links" or similar ( I haven't found a good title yet ;) ).
People could read there where they can found the IRC Chat, where they
can found specific mailing lists, and where they can post request (for
permission, logo, query, etc), (Embassies?), etc. As far, people would
have a good reference page and would fastly find a way where  they can
report a problem to the community, request and communicate within the
community and with other users.

These are just ideas how to do that. If you have another idea, feel free
to add it :).