[Wikipedia-l] Re: A WikiJamSession Fantasy

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Thu Jul 22 08:46:16 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales <jwales at ...> writes:
[cut]
> So, I had this idea for something we could do as a part of a drive
> towards 1.0.  We could get permission from a library or libraries in
> some densely populated centers around the world to gain admission
> during a holiday or weekend that they would normally be closed.  We'd
> set up a wireless broadband network and bring together as many people
> as possible to work together day and night in a fun atmosphere to fact
> check articles and process them for final publication in a CD-ROM,
> with an eye towards print as well of course.

This can be fun and good for PR and community building but its usefulness is
doubtful in the current situation.

Verifying information is one thing. Making sure it is stored correctly and
stays correctly is something else.

Now there is no system to indicate that the information in a article is
verified. And also none to make sure that correct, verified information is not
changed at some point.

Off course that is the concept of Wikipedia that the community is watching the
edits and so makes sure that there is no nonsense are included.

But the point of verifying information is to make sure the information is
correct. When you put the verifyed information free again in the wild-wiki you
have increased the general likelihood that the information is correct but you
do not get really a trustworthy encyclopedia.

Also the idea of voting for articles will only increase the general quality of
Wikipedia but not really get trustworthy articles.

How to do it i do not know. But making a big efford in verifying seems a waste
of work in the current setup.

I do have a idea for a temporary solution.

Create a "Fact Sheet"-option. A option to attach a special page the contains
verifyed basic information to a article. It should be in a form format. Whit a
drop-down menu where you select the profile of the subject and fields for
specific indisputable facts.

This should be done by the person who has done the verification of the
information. Because it should be absolute correct information and to guaranty
that the information stays correct modifying should only be possible by the
original verificator. If not there is no point of creating the fact sheet.

That verificator (senior-Wikipedians only?) will connect his good name and
reputation to the information in the fact sheet.

Off course there can always be a discussion about it and somebody should be
abel to overrule the verificator but that should be a rare exception.

Whit this system you still do not have a system for getting a realy trustworthy
article but you have at least the possibility for puting the most basic
information save so you can check easy something like of it is true that the
Zeppelin Hindenburg exploded on 6 may 1937. It is a step to a verified
wikipedia.

Changing the software for this is a lot of work. But looking up information
because you need to be sure also.

---
[[wikipedia:nl:gebruiker:walter]]