[Wikipedia-l] TomeRaider 3

Erik Zachte e.p.zachte at chello.nl
Wed Jul 21 23:44:21 UTC 2004

Brian wrote:

"To anyone interested: TomeRaider 3 beta is out. It has native image, html,
and category support. I recently used user:Erik Zachte's conversion script
and the text-only database for Wikipedia is weighing in ~300MB, so including
pictures in the future may only be feasible for the wealthier of us (not
me!)"

Mat Ripley says that the new features have been designed with Wikipedia in
mind specifically. Wikipedia will become 'the flag ship' (his words) of this
popular document reader for handhelds. If it isn't already: I've had well
over 20 thousand page views on my support page for Wikipedia for TomeRaider.

My currents thoughts are to include png/gif images only. These are
relatively small and mainly consist of maps, flags and diagrams. Some jpegs
would be nice to have in thumbnail size, but I can't think of a simple
criterion which ones to include. I might add a white list opt-in feature for
people who want to run the script themselves (many do, for regular updates).

Erik Zachte