[Wikipedia-l] Waiting for 1.0

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 21 21:34:19 UTC 2004

I have saved this entire thread and intend to go through it post by
post, with pen and paper beside me, taking extensive notes, in an
effort to generate something like a consensus from what different
people have said.  In addition, for points that seem controversial or
unsettled, I will try to generate a middle-of-the-road proposal of my
own (in search of consensus), and then I'll post the whole thing here
and on meta for feedback.

After that, I'll go through *that* discussion post by post and
generate a final draft proposal, and then I propose that we hold an
en-wide vote.  (en-wide, but I think anyone should be able to vote,
it's just that the process decisions that we make in this case will
not necessarily be binding on future drives to 1.0 in other languages,
nor on future drives to 2.0 in en or whatever.)

I feel that it's necessary here for me to provide some leadership and
say "THIS is the exact proposal."  Unless I do that and submit it to a
ratification vote so that we can get general legitimacy and acceptance
that this is what we should do, we will continue to not-quite move
forward.

--Jimbo