[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 24

Brian reflection at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:32:36 UTC 2004

To anyone interested: TomeRaider 3 beta is out.  It has native image,
html, and category support.

I recently used user:Erik Zachte's conversion script and the text-only
database for Wikipedia is weighing in ~300MB, so including pictures in
the future may only be feasible for the wealthier of us (not me!)  :)
They are also touting improved compression so that may help with this.
Also - any speculation as to how small (filesize wise) we could get
pictures considered necessary down to, defaulting the width to say,
100px?

I personally found my way to Wikipedia when looking for an
encyclopedia for my PDA, so this could be an important feature to
think about.

/Brian (Alterego)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:TomeRaider_database
http://members.ams.chello.nl/epzachte/Wikipedia