[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia for Cell Phones - bulk uploading images

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Jul 20 00:23:24 UTC 2004

On 07/19/04 14:22, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

> Yes.  A certain fairly well-known wikipedian just went on a big tour
> of Europe and made a special point of taking "encyclopedic" photos of
> many prominent landmarks on his journey, but he still hasn't uploaded
> any of them, because it's a huge pain in the ass.
> I don't know the solution, but it sure would be sweet to have some
> means of bulk uploading, for example ftp or something like that.

Possibly we wouldn't need to do this ourselves. fotopic.net already offers
bulk mobile phone uploads for paid users. You can do a pile of photos on your
phone, upload to your fotopic.net page and have a gallery up a minute or so
later (so they claim). Expect to see other photo sites offering similar
services.

This lets people use another service as their staging area, and then they
can do the *hard* work, which is picking a non-sucky name and so on.

(Developer idea: If anyone tries to upload an image with a name of eight
characters or less before the extension - such as, ooh, CIMG0134.JPG or
DSCN0023.JPG or such *straight out the camera* names - ask if they really
mean that. If not forbidding it utterly.)

- d.