[Wikipedia-l] Waiting for 1.0

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jul 18 19:15:13 UTC 2004

Mark Ryan wrote:

>We would need the spell checker to be reactivated and modified so that
>articles can be checked on their own (rather than giving a huge list
>of all pages with particular errors in them). I don't fancy copying
>entire articles into MS Word to check for errors (and people checking
>articles for correct spelling would be likely to miss many errors). I
>know the spell checker was a huge resource drain on Wikipedia, but if
>it is restricted to those permitted to validate articles, it shouldn't
>be so bad.

We would need to feel confident that the spell checker respected
national variations such as labor/labour while maintaing consistent
usage within an individual article.

Spell checkers also create false security.  They would never catch the
wrong use of there/their for example.  Human checking will still be
essential.

Ec