[Wikipedia-l] Waiting for 1.0

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Sun Jul 18 13:36:01 UTC 2004

Le Sunday 18 July 2004 15:08, Mark Ryan a écrit :

> I know automatic spell checking is just a tool. But we still have
> spelling errors being found now, years after they were first inserted
> into articles.

I am not convince that spell checking tools will improve that.
A spelling error squashing party would be more efficient I think.

> Humans are prone to errors. I know I can proofread an
> essay of my own over ten times and not notice the most obvious
> spelling errors.

That's why WP is a collaborative project.

> An automatic spell checker would just draw our
> attention to possibly overlooked errors.

May be it also depends on the language.
Every time I use a spell checking tool in French, I find it just useless,
partly because it reports many spelling mistakes where there are none, and
can't find others.

> How many spelling errors
> would you find on Britannica?

I don't read Britannica. ;o)