[Wikipedia-l] Attention all sysops on non-English Wikipedias

Jens Frank JeLuF at gmx.de
Sun Jul 18 05:09:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 05:41:10PM +0100, Timwi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> hopefully this notice will prevent complaints about this change.
>
> Someone just checked in a software change that will allow sysops to
> customise the names of months and weekdays via pages in the MediaWiki
> namespace, just like most other things in the user interface. When this
> change goes live on the site, you will see the month and weekdays names
> change into English (I believe). Please do not panic when that happens.
>
> Please create pages called [[MediaWiki:January]] etc. and
> [[MediaWiki:Sunday]] etc. in your local Wikipedia and translate the
> months/weekdays names appropriately.

If you would have read the entire patch, you would have noticed that I'm
moving translations from hardcoded to user-configurable, not only for
English, but for all languages. There have been complaints that certain
parts of the user interface are not maintainable (month names, user
preferences, etc) using the MediaWiki:-namespace.

I'm putting a high effort into not breaking things in this process, e.g.
moving all existing translations etc. Currently having 52 languages, this
will take some time.

If you fear that code changes will break things, please contact the author
of that patch (in this case: me) first, before frightening all our users!
Be assured that the goal of the MediaWiki developers is not to break things.

JeLuF