[Wikipedia-l] Attention all sysops on non-English Wikipedias

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 17 20:34:42 UTC 2004

In message <cdbks0$qar$1 at sea.gmane.org>, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> writes
>Someone just checked in a software change that will allow sysops to
>customise the names of months and weekdays via pages in the MediaWiki
>namespace, just like most other things in the user interface. When this
>change goes live on the site, you will see the month and weekdays names
>change into English (I believe). Please do not panic when that happens.
>
>Please create pages called [[MediaWiki:January]] etc. and
>[[MediaWiki:Sunday]] etc. in your local Wikipedia and translate the
>months/weekdays names appropriately.

Will it screw things up if we create these in advance of your software
change?

While I'm on the subject of local language versions, I posted a query to
Wikitech-l last week about who, if anyone, monitors and applies
requested changes to the LanguageXX.php files, requested via
[[meta:Requests for languageXX.php update]] and [[meta:Language files to
be updated]] and got no reply at all --- there are requests on there
that go back to last March and there is no indication that any of them
have been actioned.

It's frustrating to those of us who are trying to keep our user
interfaces and magic words reasonably grammatical to go to the trouble
of updating these huge files and then we find that the developers have
gone and released another version of their own, which we then have to
keep our files in synchronisation with.

--
Arwel Parry
cy.wikipedia.org