[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikiquote now has subdomains

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 18:08:52 UTC 2004

kelvSYC wrote:

> So, in terms of wikimarkup, you could use something like [[quote:Main
> Page]] to link to Wikiquote's main page from a Wikipedia or Wiktionary?
>  What about [[books:Main Page]] or [[source:Main Page]]?

The current interwiki link prefixes are "w" for wikipedia, "wikt" for
wiktionary and "wikiquote" for wikiquote. I was intending on using the
literal names "wikibooks" and "wikisource", since those prefixes were
already valid interwiki links. When I set up the multi-language
wiktionaries, there were subtle differences between the "wiktionary"
link which I left as is for backwards compatibility, and the new "wikt"
link. People found these differences confusing when they encountered
them, which is why I avoided it this time. However I can see the
advantage of having short names, and perhaps the problems could be
avoided with better documentation, or maybe a slight break in backwards
compatibility to produce a more intuitive result.

-- Tim Starling