[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia for Cell Phones

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Fri Jul 16 19:23:38 UTC 2004

On 07/16/04 16:31, Neil Harris wrote:

> One critical difference for WAP phone browsing is that many phones
> have extremely small page size limits; a maximum of 1397 bytes.of
> compressed content per page in order to work with currently fielded
> devices. So Wikipedia pages will need to be chopped up into right-size
> chunks, and an effective navigation interface provided to move through
> these. Fortunately we already have hierarchical subheadings and
> paragraph breaks, so these can be used to "paginate" the WAP data
> cleanly, rather than breaking it on arbitary boundaries.

I don't know that WAP is actually that important to consider. Mobile
phones are rapidly advancing technology that customers regard as
disposable, i.e. get a new phone every year or two for new features.
How are the numbers for WAP versus GPRS, i.e. proper Internet on
Opera or (soon) mini-Mozilla?

- d.