[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia for Cell Phones

Alex Hottenstein ahottenstein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:06:46 UTC 2004

Goodmorning all-

I am new to the Wikipedia mailing list, but have spent the last few
days researching an idea, and it was suggested to me that I might
receive some further insight or assistance by bringing it to all of
you:

I have been involved with technology for several years now, and have
come to believe very strongly in the potential power of developing web
interfaces for cell
phone technology. I have spent some time both personal and
professional researching this market, and understanding that more and
more cell phones come equipped with the ability to access the
Internet, and that cell phones are now in service even in some of the
remote corners of the world. It occurs to me that Wikipedia could
possibly be the ultimate extension of this technology, and would
require very little effort on our side or the side of the cell phone
user to integrate.

Simply stated, by creating a cell phone web interface for the
Wikipedia database, instant access to a dynamic encyclopedia could be
given to all cell phone users worldwide. From what I can tell of the
site, the infrastructure to undertake such a project is all there.

I do not know if this is a project that you are already considering,
but if not, I would be happy to lead this initiative, and am very
interested in recruiting others who are interested in becoming
involved in the project.

I would like to hear the ideas or suggestions of all, I already have
constructed ideas for Phase 1 and 2 of the project, and would be more
then happy to share them if there is any further interest.

Thank you all for your time
- Alex Hottenstein