[Wikipedia-l] Galileo and others

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 15 07:22:28 UTC 2004

Magnus Manske wrote:

> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
>> Pretty fun, yeah, but we need mapping support in Wikipedia for that
>> to happen:
>> * People need some feedback or they won't work on geographical data.
>>  Numbers are boring.
>> * Feedback is needed to see if the data is correct. It's very easy to
>> make
>>  a typo when typing numbers and if the result isn't presented on some
>>  kind of map, it's highly unlikely that somebody would correct it.
>
> IF the GEO coordinate links to a special page, then this page could
> link to/show a mapquest map around that point, among other things. Or
> should we use such a map image which links to the special apge (like
> thumbnails)? That should be at least *some* feedback.
>
> And for missing geography data: How about wikipedition (wikipedia
> expedition) to collect that data? Imagine: Thousands of wikipedians
> all over the world emerging from their basements, roaming streets,
> shorelines, walking along rivers and climbing mountains, their GPS
> receivers in one hand, the data-logging laptop in the other, to
> discover new life and new civilizations, to boldly wander where no
> geek has wandered before ;-)
> And they could take pictures for wikimedia commons while they're at it!

Once a basic map format is adopted, this project will develop
incrementally to a level consistent with the scale of map being edited.
We should not expect that everything should be submitted at once.
Features can be added later in a Wiki way if it's easy enough for people
to it.  We can start with a set of basic one degree blank rectangles
that fill a significant portion of the users screen.  Some essential
features can be added at this scale.  Perhaps the very first question
might be so simple as. "Is this land or water?"  A mid-ocean rectangle
is not likely to get much attention, but there would be nothing
preventing anybody from adding undersea features.  A one degree
rectangle can be divided to a finer scale for more detailed features.

One interesting site for pictures is at the Degree Confluence Project
http://www.confluence.org/  Their idea is to create a series of pictures
at each degree intersection.

Ec