[Wikipedia-l] Galileo and others

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 17:24:43 UTC 2004

--- Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw at users.sf.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:02:59AM -0700, Christopher Mahan wrote:
> > --- Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw at users.sf.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Do it now, convert later.
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > > There are serious obstacles to developing real map system, most
> > > important
> > > being limited free geographical data of decent quality.
> >
> > I say forget mapping. Just put in coordinates into physical
> location
> > pages, and let the mapping software companies do their magic.
>
> What do the world need the mapping companies for ?
> Most of the mapping is being done by the governments, for
> taxpayers' money,
> so the data should be available for free.
> Unfortunately, except for the US, it isn't.
>
> Once we have the data, the software itself isn't that difficult.

The mapping companies have the maps with the elevation with not much
interesting on them. We add the stuff on the map that makes the map
come alive. It's an overlay.

Imagine walking around in israel and you bump your head in the wall.
Oh, sorry. Imagine you have a wireless gps device and you're walking
on a road and the devices announces: "According to Wikipedia, you are
on the same road Roman General Vespasian marched on in 69AD with 9000
roman soldiers on the way to the fortress of Masada."
A few minutes later: "This village hosts a regional olive competition
that will last till Friday. Also, famed guitarist SomeMadeUp Name
grew up here until he was 19."

Would that not be fun?

=====
Chris Mahan