[Wikipedia-l] Re: About a new language...

Philip Newton Philip.Newton at gmx.net
Tue Jul 6 19:13:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:14:58 -0500, Rick Boatright wrote:

> Of course it has an ISO Language code...  SHU...
> http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=SHU

Careful! SIL / Ethnologue codes are not ISO 639 codes.

Many languages have an Ethnologue code but not ISO 639 code, and some
languages have an ISO 639 code but not an Ethnologue code.

> But I have no idea where the cyrillic characters part came from.  I can
> find no information ANYWHERE that suggests there are arabic dialects
> written in cyrillic.  I smell a spoof.

I suspect that the "Chadian" the OP talks about is not the variety of
Arabic spoken in Chad, but a minor conlang with a confusingly similar
name. (I say "minor" because I feel that if it were in any way notable,
I would have heard of it by now.)

So not a spoof, but simply a minor conlang with a confusing name, if I
understand correctly.

Desmond Tutu: Are there any people with Chadian as their first language?

Cheers,
Philip