[Wikipedia-l] Re: About a new language...

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Jul 6 13:46:09 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Desmond Tutu wrote:
>
>> I write to you because I think it would be important to make another
>> translation of Wikipedia. I would like to make a translation in Chadian.
>

> As far as my research indicates, Chadian is a dialect of Arabic. Do
> you think it's worth having a whole new Wikipedia in Chadian Arabic?

I think there's a little chain-pulling going on here - the "North
America and Europe" but not Africa is suspicious, and I don't think
there are any dialects of Arabic written in Cyrillic (but we can't
discount the medieval tales of Russians led by Prester Ivan who
settled around the southern shores of Lake Chad :-) ).

Stan