[Wikipedia-l] Re: New "GNU Free Media Licence"? - was: What would Richard Stallman say?

Robert Michel news at RobertMichel.de
Tue Feb 24 19:21:08 UTC 2004

Salve,

probably my list was not complete:
Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 18:52 schrieb Richard Stallman:
>> B - getting the right to use this picture only on official Wikipedia
>> server/ mirrors, CD-Roms & official Wikipedia books (a special new licence)
>> C - getting the right to use this picture with a redused quality and size
>> D - creating a non public pay per view area inside the wikipedia
>
> If Wikipedia did any of these things, it would no longer be free.  We
> would need to start another project to be the free encyclopedia.

*g* My intention was not to start B,C or D, only to try to list all
possibilities - I agree that this wouldn`t belongs to a free project.

> It makes no sense to put completeness above freedom.  Wikipedia should
> do as good a job as it can do while remaining free.

Wouldn`t be this aim also would match for
>> E - using this picture with "fair use"
?

So instead of B or E we could please the right owner to support us with the
use:
Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial 1.0
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 1.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

Because these licenses will
- make shure that wikipeadia could use it still in future
- let us use it internationaly, too
- be an advantage for the right owner, becouse it would be more restrictive
than "fair use".

I would be really happier, when Wikipedianer would ask for a license, instead
of beeing too lazy and argue only with "fair use".
rob