[Wikipedia-l] New "GNU Free Media Licence"? - was: What would Richard Stallman say?

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Mon Feb 23 21:43:25 UTC 2004

Robert Michel wrote:

>Salve,
>
>Am Sonntag, 22. Februar 2004 23:41 schrieb Richard Stallman:
>

>>The questions you are asking are legal technicalities.  You need
>>to ask a lawyer--I am not capable of giving advise about such points.
>>

>So I can state that there hasn`t been a discussion about a special GNU licence
>for pictures yet and nobody dissagreed that there is probably a need for one.
>Richard is right that this for asking a lawyer, but I´m interested in starting
>points.
>
>As long as the world is software patents free, we have the freedom to create
>similar softwaretools - also the text for the wikipedia could be written by
>our-self. But historical pictures like this:
>
>Vietnam Execution (1968) Eddie Adams
>http://www.edelmangallery.com/killer1.htm
>
>we can`t make our-self. When the photographer is still alive and hasn`t sold
>his pictures right, that do we have the chance to ask him to support the
>wikipedia. Jimbo has ask me to go on with my idea of a tutorial ""HowTo ask
>effective for the use of pictures with the condition of the GNU-FDL" and
>start to write it.
>But even when we have equal skills to Casanova, propose something smartfull
>what will be a pleasure for the contributur and the Wikipedia - Casanova had
>the advantage to choose willing women. Most of right holders of pictures with
>the aim of make as much as possible money aren`t like women with unromatic
>husbands.
>
>In this case we need to make compromises, this could be one like:
>A - getting one picture for using with GNU FDL
>B - getting the right to use this picture only on official Wikipedia server/
>mirrors, CD-Roms & official Wikipedia books (a special new licence)
>C - getting the right to use this picture with a redused quality and size
>D - creating a non public pay per view area inside the wikipedia
>E - using this picture with "fair use"
>F - don`t use this picture inside the wikipedia and use an external link
>G - finding a very rich donator who buy the whole right of one picture and
>free it
>H - finding a rich donator to free a picture for B only
>
>Some still open questions:
>-How can we ensure by a licence, that the information of the picture will
>sticked together for all future?
>-How can we make it more believable that this picture is not manipulated?
>-How can be one digital signature used for the picture and the information?
>-Aren`t there reasons for creating a GNU-Free_Picture/Grafic_Licence?
>-Has there already been discussions about his?
>-Where can I found archievs of them?
>-Where is the best place to discuss a new picture/media licence?
>-Should this licence be a GNU or a Wikipedia licence?
>
>-Who is interested in joining such discussion?
>
>The GFDL is IMHO only about text and not about pictures, the GFDL do not
>mention picture or photo. Beside the question if a GNU Free Picture Lisence
> [...]
The GNU web site suggests creative commons.

"We believe that published software and documentation should be free
software and free documentation <licenses.html#Intro>. We recommend
making all sorts of educational and reference works free also, using
free documentation licenses such as the GNU Free Documentation License
<licenses.html#FDL> (GNU FDL)."

"For other kinds of works, we recommend you consider the licenses
proposed by Creative Commons <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/>."

Caroline / Secretlondon