[Wikipedia-l] Re: I don't care what Richard Stallman would say

Bjorn Lindqvist bjrn.lindqvist at telia.com
Sun Feb 22 01:10:40 UTC 2004

> There are people who want to use Wikipedia only online. Lots of them.
> And they may not care much about non-free images. But there are also
> people who want to use Wikipedia's content offline - in books, magazines,
> CDs, etc. Some may even want to print portions of the Wikipedia and sell them.
>
> The problem is - these people can't legally do it if the Wikipedia contains
> such images.
>
> These people wouldn't be able to use your fork.

They would be able to use my fork as long as their use of my fork's
Fair Use material also is Fair Use. Take the Stalin photo. Despite
that in all certainity someone owns that photo's copyright that has
not stopped hundres of book publisher to use it. I therefore don't
understand why they wouldn't be able to use my fork.

> Are you able to see the issue now ?

Let see. The issue seem to be that in theory, someone can be sued for
using Wikipedia material. In reality, that risk seem to be so
infinitely small that all publishers are prepared to take that risk.

BL