[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Feb 20 23:49:25 UTC 2004

Thomas R. Koll wrote:

>BTW: What is your opinion on who manages the copyrights of IP-users?
>Whe had an discussion on de: where I argued that Wikimedia Foundation
>manages the rights.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic, I don't think you're going to get a
clear consensus on this.  It's a very tricky issue: there's arguments
for and against the Wikimedia Foundation having rights to manage the
submitters' copyrights.  The Free Software Foundation, for its part,
avoids the issue by requiring that all submitters of modifications to
its software assign their copyright to the FSF, in which case the FSF
has an unquestionable right to manage the copyrights, since they own them.

-Mark