nonfree.wikipedia.org (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?)

Optim optim81 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 07:46:51 UTC 2004

if I understood well, you suggest having a
database of fair use images which can be
hyperlinked from Wikipedia articles but they will
never be inline.

If I understood correctly then I agree! According
to my moral standards this is ok. However I
cannot talk about the law because IANAL.

--Optim

--- Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2004, at 21:08, Delirium wrote:
> > There is the aggregation defense that has
> been alluded to, but I think
> > inserting an image in-line in an article is
> clearly making it part of
> > the article as one work, not merely
> distributing it on the same
> > medium.  If all the images were on separate
> pages (as in an appendix,
> > perhaps), then that'd be another matter.
>
> On that note, a question for the folks who
> aren't willing to give up
> "fair use images": would an 'appendix' system
> be acceptable to you?
>
> What I'm envisioning is an associated site to
> which non-PD non-GFDL

but-probably-ok-under-fair-use-for-a-non-profit-encyclopedia
> could be
> uploaded and linked _from there_ to Wikipedia
> article names. The page
> display on *.wikipedia.org could see when
> there's an associated page
> and include a more or less prominent link to
> the photo/media page. (For
> those familiar with Ward's Wiki, this would be
> similar to how
> SisterSites links work.)
>
> To summarize:
> * images which can only be justified as "fair
> use" (for some uses, in
> the US only) would not be uploaded to Wikipedia
> itself, embedded in
> Wikipedia articles, or included in basic
> Wikipedia page/media dumps
> * but those images could be made available
> through Wikimedia's sites
> (for acceptably fair use, in the US) and
> hyperlinked to Wikipedia
> articles (not inline)
> * redistributors who determined the images were
> ok could still take them
> * redistributors who might not be able to use
> them don't have to mess
> with it
>
> Would this be acceptable from legal, moral, and
> other standpoints?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature
x-mac-type=70674453; name=PGP.sig