[Wikipedia-l] Re: What would Richard Stallman say?

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 04:04:17 UTC 2004

Not everyone on Wikipedia knows who Richard Stallman is, or cares what
he would say. The moral argument has appeal, but alone it only works if
Jimbo decides the issue by fiat. I presume he asks the question, though,
because he wants some semblance of consensus before making his executive
decision.

I hesitate to rely on moral arguments in a NPOV world. How about a
policy argument, the question being, what is best for Wikipedia? Can we
really use non-GFDL images online, and should we? Jimbo says we can,
based on section 7 of the GFDL, but that we shouldn't, because it
doesn't follow the spirit of the GFDL. Others say we should, because it
allows us to create a better encyclopedia. I say we shouldn't, because
it's bad for the project, and might end up violating the GFDL as well.

I know that we carefully say that "All text is available under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation License", without saying anything about
the images. But we need to look at a bigger picture than just a
computer-based project. Section 7 applies "if the copyright resulting
from the compilation is not used to limit the legal rights of the
compilation's users beyond what the individual works permit." Fine and
dandy on a computer, where you can claim that the text and the images
are separate files.

But the GFDL applies "in any medium". The Wikimedia Foundation has
ambitions to release Wikipedia in print form. The end of this year has
been suggested as a goal. Do we still claim then that an image is a
separate document from an article? And anyway, we can't limit the rights
of our users to copy Wikipedia articles into print form. But if I use my
printer to print out any article with an image in it, the image prints
out with the text. Voila, I may have infringed someone's copyright! And
by presenting images this way, instead of merely linking to separate
image pages, Wikipedia is limiting my right to copy GFDL text.
Therefore, Wikipedia arguably is not complying with section 7 of the GFDL.

I find it highly disingenuous to rely on an argument that images are
separate from the articles they appear in. Jimbo thinks we're okay
license-wise, but when you get this far, both of us are relying on
technicalities. The law, and legal interpretation, sometimes abandons
such positions, even when they are technically correct. I don't think we
can count on a legally untested license to protect us forever if we
continue to use non-GFDL images. Somebody downstream will use images
without permission, claim the use is licensed, and when they get sued,
Wikipedia will get sued too for having licensed the unauthorized use.

On the other hand, if we stick to images that qualify for GFDL, we don't
need boxes for people to check every time they upload an image. We don't
have to ask users to engage in amateur legal analysis, an unreliable way
to classify our images by copyright status, just in case we might have
to weed out certain classifications later. We can just tell people that
anything you upload has to be free. Unless it's totally free (i.e. in
the public domain), it has to be under a free-content license. Simpler,
and much better in the long run.

--Michael Snow