[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Feb 19 23:35:15 UTC 2004

Caroline Ford wrote:

> So what do we do? I prefer tagging of all images, so that fair use
> images can be removed by a non-US user. However I am strongly favour
> of keeping images used with permission, as these greatly improve the
> encylopedia's coverage of non-US topics and people. If we only used PD
> images of politicians we would only have US politicians, and images of
> national leaders shaking hands with US presidents (from the survey we
> did yesterday). This would appear to be a bias, and could also been
> seen as POV as a country's relationship with the US is often
> controversial.

Well, there's no particular reason that other countries have to have
less-free copyright policies than the US.  As long as the US is the only
one willing to give up copyright on its images, we'll of course have
more US images---this is a direct result of most other countries
adopting restrictive licensing and copyright rules.  Perhaps non-US
Wikipedians should lobby their countries' governments to follow the US's
fine example in placing federal government material in the public
domain. =]  I'm quite positive that if, say, the French government
decided to place their national archives in the public domain, we'd
import anything of interest quite quickly.  But if they insist on a
restrictive, non-free licensing scheme, then I don't see what we can do
about it: it's their choice to purposely exclude their material from any
Free encyclopedia, and we have to respect that choice.

> I hope tagging, allowing separation is a compromise. The status quo is
> chaos.

Tagging, I agree, is definitely something that should be done.  No
matter what we decide, it should be possible for a reuser of our content
in an easy, automated way to, for example, strip out all non-public
domain or GFDL images (as going through them all manually is
prohibitively tedious for most reusers).

-Mark