[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Feb 19 22:48:57 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Jimmy-
>

>>The moral argument is the one that matters.  Should we make use of
>>materials that are available only to us because of our special
>>circumstances, or should we follow a purist GNU philosophy?
>>

>We should strike a reasonable balance, and that means that images which
>are clearly unobtainable under a free license but historically important
>works should be used as fair use. Copyright law is restrictive enough as
>it is, it would be a big mistake not to exploit the few exemptions it
>grants us, under the guise of being "more free". In fact, by rejecting
>fair use, we effectively endorse restrictive copyright doctrines.

FWIW, I vaguely agree with both Jimbo and Erik on this point.  I
strongly prefer Free images wherever possible, but I don't think we
should entirely refrain from using fair use images.

I would, however, support us doing so very carefully, and only when
necessary.  Furthermore, I think we should restrict our fair use images
to fairly unambiguous cases of fair use, at least informally.  A very
famous photograph of an event from WW2, for example, is pretty clear
fair use for almost all users.

Images licensed "for Wikipedia use only" or "for non-commercial use
only" are another matter, and possibly even GFDL-incompatible---and at
the very least something I don't like.

So, to summarize, my position is:
* Strongly prefer GFDL or public domain images
* Allow fair use images in cases where GFDL or public domain images are
unavailable, with a strong preference towards clear-cut fair use cases
that would also be fair use for most reusers of our content
* Do not accept special-permission images

-Mark