[Wikipedia-l] Re: image copyright

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Feb 17 13:30:08 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) Waste much of our time arguing with Anthony about his FDL
> interpretation, possibly hire a lawyer, possibly go to court, possibly
> lose.
> 2) Name clear conditions for how individual articles must be licensed. If
> Anthony refuses to comply, permanently ban him from editing Wikipedia.
> 3) Do nothing.
>
> Option 2) seems the wisest to me.

Yes, absolutely.  There are a lot of things that need to be clarified
for re-users.  This is becoming more important as we get closer and
closer to a well-formed product.

> In my opinion, this is a decision Jimbo should make, as this is clearly a
> Wikimedia issue. I can only attribute his silence on the matter to him not
> haven taken notice of the fork and related discussion yet.

Well, I wrote to Anthony a few days ago, to discuss his views on the
GNU FDL, in particular with respect to the inclusion of "fair use"
materials.  He did not respond, but I'm still hoping to have a
dialogue with him.

I think it might be more productive if I talked to him on the phone,
so now I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

--Jimbo