[Wikipedia-l] Re: image copyright

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 07:40:54 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

> Brion Vibber a écrit:
>
>> On Feb 15, 2004, at 19:44, Anthere wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, is it okay that I relicense all the images I offered
>>> wikipedia as copyright by Anthere with permission, with a link to my
>>> user page, instead of under gfdl ?
>>
>> You can choose to allow that use _as well as_ the GFDL you've already
>> agreed to. But, once given, I'm not sure you can withdraw the GFDL
>> permission without cause. (IANAL!)

Actually, I'm quite sure you can't withdraw it "without cause," and I
doubt you could find a reason to withdraw the license "with cause." The
text of the GFDL specifically states that the license is "unlimited in
duration". A GPL-type license is perpetual and cannot be withdrawn.

>> Keep in mind that if you were to withdraw the GFDL license, the
>> images would be removed from Wikipedia.

No, they shouldn't be. Since the license cannot be withdrawn, the images
stay. By uploading them to Wikipedia, you agree to the terms of the
license. The only images that should be withdrawn are those under
copyright, if the user did not have authority to grant a GFDL.

> I have doubts. Many images are indicated copyrighted, but that the
> author gave permission for use. And they are in Wikipedia.

The images may still be copyrighted. The GFDL and copyright are not
mutually exclusive. However, the author's permission must be GFDL, or
something less restrictive than the GFDL.

--Michael Snow