[Wikipedia-l] Re: image copyright

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 01:11:27 UTC 2004

Yann Forget a écrit:
> Hi,
>
> Then, for the end user, what is the difference with fair use?

if the end user is the one reading wikipedia, there is *no* difference.

If the end user is one who want to reuse the content in particular in a
commercial project, it is likely that it will make little difference as
well.
If the image is properly labeled, it is his choice to take a risk in
using a fair use image (for commercial reasons...), and his choice to
contact the copyright owner of a "under permission" picture. And likely
he won't have the permission.

However, if the end user is one wanting to use the image for a personal
website, or an educational website, I would rather recommand him not to
his the fair use image. However, we may strongly suggest him to contact
the copyright owner, to obtain permission to reuse the image.
I guess that in case of personal websites, and educational ones, the
permission will probably be granted quite easily, and the user will take
benefit of this image use.
In many websites, some pictures are displayed under copyright, but it is
mentionned that with a link to the original picture, or mention of the
original author, and just by asking, one may get the permission. I did
that a couple of times (for wikipedia as well, for content), and I
finally got the full freedom to use the content quite easily.

In short, it is not perfect, but ihmo, with permission is sometimes
better than no pictures at all. It requires more work from the end user,
but if they really want it, it is better than no image at all.

> You should look at the small argument I had with Rinaldum about this:
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%E9dia:Pages_soup%E7onn%E9es_de_copyright

:-) I had a lot of pleasure reading that :-)
I somehow agree with both of you on some points.

>>>Now that's very bad. we should take this case (and others of the same
>>>kind) seriously.
>>
>>Taking it seriously should mean taking position all together as a group.
>> Not just answering people it is their problem.
>

> I agree with that. What do we do now?
> Yann

Well, I talked about it with Anthony. And his comments were doubled.

First, he said he was willing to try to import history of articles,
history of image upload. But some people say he won't do that.
If he is really willing and able to do that, that settles the case.

He also said that that since I was only a pseudonyme, and a very minor
editor, I had no say whatsoever, and there was no reason I be given any
credit for the work I gave to Wikipedia. The credit of my work, be it in
articles I wrote nearly alone or with other minor editors, or be it in
pictures I took hours to get right, and that are entirely my work alone,
was to be offered to the five main editors of Wikipedia, as a unique
document.

I guess I have the choice between admitting my work as a photographer
and as an editor was in reality entirely done by Maverick, Brion, André,
Brian and Anthony himself.

Or I have to take care of protecting a little credit for the 2 years of
hard work I offered to Wikipedia project myself. I would not feel so
insulted I think if I were sometimes praised about what I do as an
editor :-) But no praise, job credit given to other people, and perhaps
even my images under Anthony copyright now, I find a little hard to swallow.
So I could 1) pay an american lawyer or 2) try to see how I can get the
website down myself or 3) behave like a vandal in his place.

Admitely, I like option 2, but option 3 might be fun :-)

Still, Anthony admitted that he did not care getting sued, since that
would bring him fame.

Seriously, (do not hit me :-)), we should finally do this french
association asap, so we can at least try to protect the french wikipedia
before it is too late.