[Wikipedia-l] image copyright

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Mon Feb 16 11:17:21 UTC 2004

"Brion Vibber" <brion at pobox.com> schrieb:

> Giving permission to Wikipedia only won't satisfy Wikipedia's GFDL
> requirements for 3rd-party redistribution, so we'll have to remove any
> such images.

Then again, reality is that we don't. We don't even remove images of
which it is very likely that we are not allowed to either use or
redistribute them. Someone uploads, and we keep it. Someone doubts,
someone else mumbles 'fair use', and we keep it. I would favor removing
all images of which the origin is not clear, except when they are old
enough that copyright can be assumed to have been expired.

Andre Engels