[Wikipedia-l] image copyright

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 04:08:06 UTC 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, at 19:44, Anthere wrote:
> By the way, is it okay that I relicense all the images I offered
> wikipedia as copyright by Anthere with permission, with a link to my
> user page, instead of under gfdl ?

You can choose to allow that use _as well as_ the GFDL you've already
agreed to. But, once given, I'm not sure you can withdraw the GFDL
permission without cause. (IANAL!)

Keep in mind that if you were to withdraw the GFDL license, the images
would be removed from Wikipedia.

> Because, if I am glad to offer my images under gfdl as a recognised
> author, I do not agree that my images are now registered as under
> copyright by Anthony DiPierro, with my name gone, perhaps for him to
> make money over my work.

Please take that up with Mr. DiPierro.

> I will now put all my images under copyright with permission for
> Wikipedia only. But can I do it with the old images as well ?

Giving permission to Wikipedia only won't satisfy Wikipedia's GFDL
requirements for 3rd-party redistribution, so we'll have to remove any
such images.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)