[Wikipedia-l] Re: An FDL test case: McFly

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 04:04:13 UTC 2004

Why all the outrage? The primary purpose of the GFDL is to free the
content so that people can copy and modify it, specifically by
preventing downstream content-modifiers from enforcing restrictions
based on copyright law. It's not like Anthony is trying to prevent
people from copying the stuff on McFly. On McFly, he has said he
considers himself in compliance with our GFDL-related requirements. Even
if he arguably doesn't follow every detail in the GFDL, in court he
could certainly try to claim McFly satisfies a doctrine of substantial
compliance. And anyway, where's the harm? Maybe if he were trying to
pass himself off as the real thing, it would be worth pursuing more
aggressive legal measures (I still think Wikipedia trademark
registration is a more pressing issue to deal with than copyright).

Bottom line: McFly is a fork, and a pretty poor one. I know the thought
of a fork gets some people's competitive juices going, but I don't think
McFly is capable of seriously affecting Wikipedia's mind share. So far,
it hasn't even really done much to articulate a justification for
forking, it just went ahead and did it. Wikinfo/Internet-Encyclopedia at
least has a raison d'etre. And neither of them comes close to Wikipedia
in quality. So far, our history suggests that individual languages
breaking away is a more serious concern for the project.

The GFDL is not so much a weapon for us to use against people who copy
us--it's a defense for us to use if their stuff is good enough that we
want to copy it back.

--Michael Snow