[Wikipedia-l] 2 week warning for 500, 000 article project-wide press release

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 12:21:10 UTC 2004

Last time I checked, our growth rate had us hitting the half million mark
sometime late this month or early next. Not so anymore due to apparent
increases in our rate of increase.

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Multilingual_statistics#pl-zh we have
added ~40,000 articles in the last month. Since we apparently had 460,000
articles as of Feb 1 we should hit 500,000 in two weeks if we keep up the same
rate of growth (or stat drift - could somebody check to make sure that is not
the case?).

So everybody who was involved in creating their language version of
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia's_first_press_release should update
their version so that we can have a coordinated distribution. Again, the
non-English versions should be distributed a week before the English one to
smooth out the load if needed.

Hopefully we will already have migrated to the new server farm by then. We
already had to delay a project-wide press release a few times due to server
issues.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)