[Wikipedia-l] Displaying http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:*

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 01:53:30 UTC 2004

Erik wrote:
>A better solution to the problem is to add a small (i)nfo icon
>next to the magnifying glass which views the image page with
>a &showpicture=no parameter, not displaying the zoomed
>version. In the long term, we may also want to support two
>zoom levels for very large images.

Why not limit the width of any auto displayed image on an image description
page to a 600 pixel width and then place a zoom icon on that image if it in
fact is wider than 600 pixels? Clicking on the zoom icon will bring the user to
a page that /only/ displayed the image (current behavior of media links).

I would also like to see the ability to add captions to non-thumbnail images.
For example [[image:blah.jpg|right|300px|''This is a caption'']] does not
display ''This is a caption'' as a caption - it just renders it as alt text. I
understand why ''This is alt text'' in [[image:blah.jpg|''This is alt text'']]
cannot be displayed as caption for backwards compatibility reasons. But if
something like right|300px| is in there, then, IMO, anything after the last |
should be rendered as a caption.

Also, not being able to have links in captions is a bit annoying. But given the
implementation, I can understand why this would not be easy to do.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)