[Wikipedia-l] Displaying http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:*

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Feb 1 11:41:02 UTC 2004

Karl-
> You changed something.  Thus far thus good.  I guess it's simply a bug.

> If you click on a description page like
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Nuernberg-haus-theresien7-suedfassade-n-w.
> jpg the WP software displays the picture.  It isn't that userfriendly
> esp. if the image is large.

> In the past I used to add links to thumbnail like pictures, thus the
> user can decide on his own whether he wants to download the large
> picture or not.

It's a good thing that our image pages now behave as expected: click a
picture, get a larger version. But you are correct to point out that for
very large images, this makes quickly checking the description text more
difficult. This will become worse as we add more very-high-resolution
images, which we should given our goal to release a print version.

A better solution to the problem is to add a small (i)nfo icon next to the
magnifying glass which views the image page with a &showpicture=no
parameter, not displaying the zoomed version. In the long term, we may
also want to support two zoom levels for very large images.

Regards,

Erik