[Wikipedia-l] Stamps, wiki and copyright

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Fri Aug 27 12:19:33 UTC 2004

Hi all,

In the discussion Wikispecies, there were a few mentions of the possibility to
enlarge Wikipedia with coverage on postage stamps.

While some articles on famous stamps may easily find their place in an
encyclopedia, an extensive coverage of stamps seems outside of the scope of
Wikipedia. So I would like to know what people think about that.

A few years back, I started a project on Savannah to offer data about postage
stamps under a free licence, but with no success. Maybe a wiki would be more
appriopriate. I have a MySQL database about French stamps to start with.
AFAIK, there are no other project to provide data about stamps are under a
free licence.

Articles about stamps obviously need an illustration with stamps scans and
photos. But it seems that most modern stamps can be considered as artitic
work and could therefore not be reproduce without the permission of the
author.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Postage_stamp_thumb.jpg
AFAIK, the information provided on this page is wrong. This image can't be
under a free licence. Can a lawyer can confirm or refute that?

I asked this here but got no answer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_talk:Postage_stamp_thumb.jpg

Best regards,
Yann