[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Rebranding VfD

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 06:07:31 UTC 2004

One related suggestion might be to put the "delete" tab back for
everyone. However, instead of it actually deleting the page, it goes
to a simple page that kindly describes how deletion works in Wikipedia
and provides the templates necessary to do so. That way, it explains
the deletion process to more people.

Right now the following two pages are long and intimidating:
* [[Wikipedia:Deletion_policy]]
* [[Wikipedia:Votes for deletion]]
We need a short simple description of how deletion works in less than
200 words. Something like:

"Articles are not deleted immediately on Wikipedia, but instead are
voted upon by the community. The main page for this is
[[Wikipedia:Votes for deletion]] where they exist for comment for one
week, after which administrators act on the result of the vote."

The page could show the step-by-step process by doing the following:
* Display "{{vfd}}" for easy copy pasting into the article
* Generate the wiki-syntax template found in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votes_for_deletion#VfD_footer
already formatted for adding to the VfD page.
* List a "red link" to the appropriate Votes_for_deletion subpage, for
the article in question.

Of course, the delete tab would still work as usual for admins,
allowing direct deletion of the page, in addition to creating the
template above.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)