[Wikipedia-l] Wikispecies (was: Developers needed!)

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Tue Aug 24 12:16:00 UTC 2004

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

>>I don't know much about the "category system," but if you were to
>>use Kingdom, Phylum, Subphylum, Family, Class, Order, etc. down
>>to Genus and Species as categories, that'd make it quite simple.
>>I don't know how you'd work that, but it would make things
>>simpler.
>I have mixed feelings about the proposal.  While the textual
>material might be better in the existing encyclopedias, there are
>probably data structural advantages that could be derived from the
>proposal, though I would see it as a single project that could be
>interlinked with the various Wikipedias.  The idea of having a
>separate Wikispecies for each language would be a tremendous waste
>of resources.

Couldn't Wikispecies be a true subset of Wikipedia, i.e. just another
interface, but the same underlying database? Say, all articles in the
Categories forming the Tree of Life, accesible with an specialized
interface with functions not only for edit, but also for, say, search
only in the Families or only in the whatever, helped by some specialized
indices? Also there could be specialized tree navigations etc.

This would automatically have the same actuality on wikipedia proper and
wikispecies, but would give the feeling of a distinguished project for
biologists, which could be helpful for them.

+------+
| db   | <------ interface ----> WIKIPEDIA
|  ....|
|  :   | <--- other interface -> WIKISPECIES
+------+

instead of

+------+
| db   | <----- interface ----> WIKIPEDIA
|      | <-- manual updating ---------------->  |db2 | -> WIKISPECIES

What do you think?

 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de . www.westermayer.de/till/ . icq 320393072
  . Habsburgerstr. 82 . 79104 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0160 96619179
  . . . . .