[Wikipedia-l] Wikispecies

Gerard Meijssen gja.meijssen at chello.nl
Tue Aug 24 07:18:44 UTC 2004

I have read with amusement the arguments why the Wikispecies project may
not be a good idea by some of the ToL people. As much as I admire the
work that went into the ToL and still goes into the ToL, it is also a
project that has proven in the past that it is not open and willing to
cooperate outside of its own project. When I asked to consider
cooperation to come to a universal wikipedia taxobox, the answer was
look at all our previous discussions things have been decided,, no we
won't have that all over again.

The Wikispecies can have aspects that the current ToL does not have. It
could have all published names with links to the author and the people
making up the author attribute and obviously the publication. It could
specify the basionym. It could specify what the next revision of a
description is with the author, the persons, the publication data. It
could have the scientific description as they are inherently public
domain. It could have pictures from WikiCommons. It could have the nomen
nudum, the nomen

If your interested I have a 80Mb MS/Access database with plant taxonomy
that could be used for its datadesign. It is inherently relational and
non wiki. It is not perfect but I know what is wrong with it.

Thanks,
    GerardM