[Wikipedia-l] Text-to-speech

Peter Shaw fuqnbastard at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 16 17:59:23 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 08:24, Magnus Manske wrote:
> I just found an AT&T demo site for text-to-speech synthesis:
>
> http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>
> which appears to generate *way* better speech than I got from other
> (local installation) demos.

The reason why it's so good, is that they don't generate the speech from
scratch but instead concatenate recorded speech pieces. This also means that
the program is rather huge, and that listening to text at a speed different
from recording will not sound very good. See "Concatenative synthesis" on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_synthesis for more details.

Peter Shaw