[Wikipedia-l] personal threats again

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sat Aug 14 05:37:37 UTC 2004

Blocking is just that, a possibly ineffective remedy should he use a wide
range of dynamic addresses. Following dispute resolution you can certainly
see him banned and blocked as much as possible, indeed under our personal
attacks policy he can be blocked immediately. I gather you don't want to do
it yourself, but a new administrator will be elected and all that can be
done on that front will probably be done.

Blocking does not address the underlying issue that he can in the policially
and religiously charged athmoshere in Iran potentially make good on his
threats. This is an issue that needs to be handled through institutions such
as the Persian Academy (if indeed you belong to such an organization).
Absurd denunciations need to be recognized as such, not taken seriously by
those in authority. This attitude takes a while to develop and requires
exposure of this sort of thing in public forums.

If indeed you have made edits and expressed opinions which are vulnerable to
successful attack by political and religious authorities themselves
outsiders such as ourselves can do some good by publicizing the matter and
exposing it. This can be small comfort in practical terms.

Fred