[Wikipedia-l] Distributing fonts

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Aug 13 19:38:12 UTC 2004

Kaixo!

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:16:07PM +0200, Magnus Manske wrote:

> but if the fonts are free as in GPL/GFDL, did anyone of the bickering
> crowd actually consider building TTFs from the files, upload these at
> wikipedia, and offering them for convenient download there, with proper
> credits?

It's just that it isn't the goal of wikipedia to be a font distributor
(nor a software distributor, etc).
Having a page on meta namespace referencing places where to get fonts
for a given script is ok; but actually hosting the files on wikipedia
I don't see the point (and wikimedia software isn't designed to be an
optimal solution for file serving either)

> We could also upload a free OGG player or the like. [[Wikipedia:Software
> resources]] or something.

Distributing software is an even worst idea imho.

What next, upload CDROM/DVD images of free operating systems?

All that can be easily downloaded from the right place, from places
that aim to be repositories of free software/free fonts.
Using wikipedia servers for that will be a waste of bandwidth and server
resources, diverted from their goal of serving encyclopedic pages.

Having a list of links from where to get those files/programs may
be a good idea; but actually hosting them is not.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]