[Wikipedia-l] Re: How about distributing fonts ??

Gerard.Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Fri Aug 13 07:33:10 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Roman Maurer wrote:
>
>> Gerard.Meijssen pravi:
>>
>>> The aim of Wikipedia is to share all the knowledge, this means
>>> that the knowledge must be visible. Promoting good free fonts
>>> and making them easily available is one way.
>>

>> As it turn out there are problems with finding good *and* free fonts.
>

> There is a good and free font, and I already mentioned how to find it. Google for "Code2000". http://home.att.net/~jameskass/

The Code2000 code is shareware. So it is expected that you pay for the privilige. Wikimedia is free and OGG is free, there are free fonts. There are fonts that for dead languages that are missing from Code2000 like Etruscan. My point was that by hosting the distribution of free fonts, promoting the development of free fonts we would enhance the wikimedia experience exactly like we would do with distributing OGG.

Thanks,
  GerardM