[Wikilegal-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Public Library of Science GFDL Compatible

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 00:11:08 UTC 2003

If I am not mistaken, the important part of CC licenses is that they are not
necessarily viral.

For example, CC-by (aka CC-Attribution license) allows the authors of
derivative works to change the license terms, as I understand. If you modify
the work, you should still make an attribution. But you do not have to
license that derivative work you created under the same (CC-By) license. You
can fully copyright it, or you can release it under GFDL.

CC-by-sa (CC-Attribution-Share Alike)  is a different story. That is viral
and requires derivative works to be released under the same licenese. This,
I think is clear when one compares two license terms, especially the part
4-b.
And here are the links:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/legalcode

Sorry if I am mistaken. But if I'm right, you can create some derivative
work first, and you can release it under GFDL. I hope someone else can
double check the legal code on this point.

regards,

Tomos