[Wikipedia-l] mirror sites?

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 23:00:38 UTC 2003

--- Chuck Smith <msochuck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey, sorry to keep bugging you all, but I think I've
> missed like a few months worth of messages here and
> I'm trying to catch up.  Anyway, is there any mirror
> site for Wikipedia where you can just read the
> Wikipedia?  Basically, I want a place to go where I
> can read the Wikipedia when the server is
> sloooooooooooooooooooow.  If not, it might be a good
> idea to set one up.  Perhaps
> http://www.wikipedia-imitation.org/ ?  ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

There are several mirror sites for Wikipedia but they
are all hopelessly out of date. There's the legal
nationmaster.com, the semi-legal 4reference.com, and
the illegal typeencyclopedia.com. I am trying to write
something in Python that works as just a Wikipedia
reader from the database (so it can be updated more
frequently), either on your computer or over the
internet. Several other people are working on client
software, too. Theirs are much further along, but I
don't think any of them have the goal of creating
wikipedia mirror software.
LDan