[Wikipedia-l] Public Library of Science GFDL Compatible

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Oct 30 10:38:35 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Wouter Vanden Hove wrote:

> I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, so I post it anyway.
>
> Last week the Public Library of Science (www.plos.org) launched their
> first Open Acces Journal under the Creative Commons Attribution License
> http://www.plosbiology.org
>
> This means (at least in theory) all of this can be reused in the
> Wikipedia, including images.

As far as I know, this is not true. Creative Commons only allows spreading
under the same license, not with more or less rights. Since the GNU/FDL is
not the same license, it is not allowed to go from CC to GNU/FDL - or vice
versa.

I'd love it if someone proved me wrong, and either showed that there is a
loophole (intended or unintended) that can be used and/or could get the
"those licenses require basically the same things but in different wording,
so no harm is done by cross-licensing" argument into something that would
be juridically valid.

Andre Engels