[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] NPOV disputes in Polish-German articles

Peter Gervai grin at tolna.net
Thu Oct 30 10:19:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:48:30AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:03:56PM -0800, Delirium wrote:

> didnt't all suddenly turn German. And it's completely idiotic
> to use name "Danzig" before it existed.

Hmm, I accept your national pride, but this might have been a bit strong for
a friendly attitude. Call it as the local population of the given wikipedia
would call today, and redirect the others. It's simple in the case of German
and Polski 'pedia, isn't it?

In english, I believe either you have one which is used in
_English_speaking_ countries (eg. dictionaries, encyclopedias, other
references), or if there are more, first come first serve, others can
redirect at their own pleasure.

I'd probably use "danzig" to describe the darned place and "history of
gdansk" when talking about its heroic past. And I wouldn't forget to mention
all possible names in every article's first sentence anyway.

> But Kaliningrad is completely different matter - it wasn't a Russian city before
> after the Second World War. But it had a Polish name of "Kro'lewiec" too.

I'd look for "kaliningrad" if I would look for the city. I may look for
Koenigsbers (or whatever) if I wanna check a historical reference, and maybe
krolewiec" for other sources. I expect all of them working....

Well one possible reason could be to use newset names because it's unlikely
that they going to change unless we happen to enjoy a new world war. Other
possible reason could be to use the name which longest suited the place in
the past, since the past not expected to change. I personally couldn't care
less if "Budapest" would be called "Buda-Pest" or whatever they called it in
the past as long as "Budapest" pops up the article...

But it's a nice thing to debate, I agree.

[[user:grin]]

ps: let's find the city with the most owners and names. gdansk only have 2,
it's boring. some on the austrian/slovakian/hungarian border have at least
three! I FIGHT FOR THEM! ;->