[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l ext pict

sannse sannse at delphiforums.com
Wed Oct 29 15:36:31 UTC 2003

> Aoineko wote:

> From: "Anthere"
> > If you upload the baby picture on fr, I promise you we
> > won't delete it :-)
> >
> > (but put a newer one)

> It exacly what I want to denounce. People will put non-encyclopedic
pictures
> on the server !
> What is the reason to ban external pictures from meta/user/talk pages ?

As I understand it the problems are:

* We have had past problems with offensive images linked on multiple pages.
It's arguably easier to remove one uploaded image than many external images
linked all over the 'pedia (whether that is on article pages or others)
* There are potential copyright problems with external images.  I know we
have these anyway, but at least internal images can be annotated with
copyright information and the uploader is required to say that the image has
no copyright issues.
* There are issues of "bandwidth theft" with external images.

Regards

sannse