[Wikipedia-l] External pictures

sannse sannse at delphiforums.com
Wed Oct 29 15:14:00 UTC 2003

Aoineko wrote:

> I fully agree the fact we must not use external pictures in articles, but
> why don't allow them in meta/user/talk pages ? I had a pictures of my baby
> on my user page, I can't see it any more :o(
> More seriously, I'm afraid prohibit external link will make people copy
more
> non encyclopedic pictures on the server and will make harder to select
right
> pictures when we will make a static version.

I don't see a problem with people uploading a few unencyclopaedic pictures.
Several users have their own photo on their user page, I've got a butterfly
that isn't used elsewhere on the 'pedia (there is already a good one of that
breed available).  Sure, we don't want people using Wikipedia as a personal
photo album, but one or two personal photos to illustrate a user page seems
fine to me.

Regards,

sannse