[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] NPOV disputes in Polish-German articles

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Wed Oct 29 06:02:05 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> Oh, I thought the original post was about something going on at
> de.wikipedia, my mistake.

There the German name haters already won ;-( At times, the German
"Recent changes" list looks funny: many a lot names completely unknown
to me.  The strange thing is that they don't step forward renaming also
"Straßburg" (Strasbourg), "Mailand" (Milano), "Rom" (Roma), "Venedig"
(Venezia), "Kopenhagen" (Kopenhavn), etc.

> Perhaps we can form a general policy of how to do it, something made
> in the abstract that covers all the general cases, without reference
> to German or Polish, and then go from there...

We agreed to run the so called Google test - but the German name haters
deliberately ignored this agreement ;)

> For example, when referring to a place at a time in the past, prefer
> the name of that time while parenthetically pointing out the current
> name if the clarification will be helpful to the reader.  When
> referring to a place at a time in the present, prefer the present name
> while parenthetically pointing out the past name, blah blah blah.

This seem like a good solution for the English WP

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |   (*)/'(*)